GMK- Gesellschaft für Medienpädagogik und Kommunikationskultur in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland e.V.
Professional Association for Media Education, Media Literacy and Communication Culture (registered, non-profit organisation)
Living with media creatively and critically: supporting media literacy
The Association for Media Education and Communication Culture (German: GMK │ http://www.gmk-net.de) is a nationwide professional association for education, culture, and media. It stands for the advancement of media education and media literacy. The association brings together interested and engaged people from research and practice, and ensures the exchange of information.
Aims of the GMK:
- Advancing media education and media competency from preschool education through seniority. Media education concerns all generations and fields of education. The GMK espouses networking, qualification and professionalisation of media education.
- Advancing participation by media, creativity and critical faculty. The GMK ensures that all social groups will be supported in a creative and critical manner.
- Bringing research and practice together. The GMK ensures an open dialogue and free transfer of ideas between diverse areas of practice.
- Seeing Media Education as a cross-section endeavour. The GMK asserts that people of every background have the opportunity to use media in a responsible and productive way for personal advancement. The GMK is also active in gender-sensitive media education.
- Linking Media and Culture. Media communication and the use of media belong to our culture. The organisation is engaged in linking media work and cultural activities.
- Making outstanding projects public. The Dieter Baacke Award (http://www.dieter-baacke-preis.de) honours media projects throughout Germany. The prize is awarded in conjunction with the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth.
- Supporting and inspiring pedagogical professionals. In its qualification seminars the GMK addresses current topics and methods of media education and develops new models of practice.
- Advancing young researchers. With the medius award the GMK awards thesis which deal with media education, media research or youth protection. The award will be awarded in conjunction with the Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle Fernsehen (FSF, a youth protection organisation of the Free TV Channels), the Medienanstalt Berlin Brandenburg (mabb, media authority in Berlin/Brandenburg Germany) and the Deutsches Kinderhilfswerk (German Children’s Fund).
- Advising politics. The GMK contributes in political councils, develops concepts and advises in the context of youth protection, cultural and educational policy and youth policies. The GMK takes a stand on current media pedagogical debates.
- Recognizing Media globalisation. The globalised media landscape provides new opportunities for an intercultural and international exchange.
The GMK takes a stand for critical guidance and sensible usage of international and global media development.
Seven good reasons for Membership:
- The Newsletter
The GMK-News provides information about current literature, surveys, scholarships, traineeships, job advertisements, events, practice and research tenders, new projects, and didactical materials.
- Experience the GMK Forum – topics, discussions, Meetings
GMK members get a reduced admission to the nationwide media-pedagogical congress “Forum Kommunikationskultur”.
- Free specialist books
Members get GMK publications for free (documentation of the GMK Forum and handbooks to the Dieter Baacke Prize).
- Networking – establishing contacts
Annual GMK Forum, national committees, occupational groups and local GMK meetings offer an opportunity to get to know experts and institutions as well as to take part in current discussions.
- Guidance and qualification
With its symposiums, projects and seminars, the GMK offers inspiration and further education.
- Lecturer recommendations
GMK will help you find lecturers in the field of media education.
- For a strong media education…
Your membership will contribute to networking, qualification and strengthening of media education, and the professional group of media pedagogues. You will support the work and the engagement of the GMK for a broad pedagogical and culturally embedded network in the field of media literacy.
Your membership will become valid after the transfer of the first yearly subscription.
The yearly subscription amounts to:
- Single members: 90 €
- Students, unemployed persons, apprentices: 40 €
- Institutions/ juristic persons: 250/500 € (ad libitum)
- Supporting members: 600/1.200 € (ad libitum)
GMK is a non-profit association. Subscription is tax deductible in Germany.
Information/ Contact/ Registration:
phone: 0049 (0) 521 – 6 77 88